What is SEO and How does it surge the website’s visibility?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) :
Every day billions of searches are occurring on the internet. So how do you make sure that your site should pop up in these search results, that too on the first page of the search engine like Google? To increase the site visibility and rank at the top of the search engine for the relevant keyword, SEO is used.
In the following article, We will explain the complete breakdown of SEO marketing basics.
How does SEO work ?
To be on the first page of Google, there are some techniques and practices you need to follow that will help in optimizing the content on your website and also drives organic traffic to the site.
Mainly, there are 3 types of SEO as mentioned below.
What are the core types of SEO ?
- On-Page SEO
- Off-Page SEO
- Technical SEO
On-Page SEO :
Firstly, On-page SEO mainly concentrates on optimizing the content on web pages to rank up the website on the Search Engine.
- Content: Quality content is king. Make sure the content provided by you is correct, actionable, unique, interesting, and valuable to your users.
- Keyword Research: Research and get to know the most popular keywords searched by the users relating to your blog niche. Use these keywords and write the article accordingly.
- HTML Tags: The Title, Header, and meta tags should contain the keyword. Correlate the keyword in these tags thoughtfully.
- Multimedia Optimization: Using multimedia(Custom text fonts, images, audio, video, and animations) will make users more engaging and appealing but at the same time it also increases the web page load time.
Make sure to reduce the size of multimedia elements and remove unnecessary HTML from your webpage. Always give names and alt tags to give information to the search engine.
- Page Speed: Slow-loading websites are annoying and users will roll back easily. Often use Google PageSpeed Insights to check your web page speed and follow the suggested optimizations to enhance the page speed.
- URLs: URL(Uniform Resource Locator) refers to the address that locates the web page. Always use short and simple URLs containing the keyword in them.
Good URL – https:/iidm.world/what-is-seo-and-how-does-it-work/
Bad URL – https://iidm.world/feed/post/7754252/show.html
- Inbound Links: Refers to the links of related web pages within the same domain. Inbound links help the user to explore the additional relevant web pages and increase the user’s interaction on your site.
Inbound links decrease the bounce rate by not letting the user leave the website. Thus, the Search engine marks these pages as important thereby improving the rank of your site.
- Outbound Links: Refers to the links of relevant external websites that provide accurate information. The number of outbound links should not be large in number. Be cautious while providing outbound links as these links drive your traffic to external sites.
- Mobile friendly: Traffic from mobile users is much more when compared to other devices. Always check the responsiveness of the website, especially for mobile. Above covers most of the important and must-on-page SEO techniques to follow.
Off-Page SEO :
Secondly, we have off page SEO to work on. In addition to On page SEO, Some additional consistent steps need to be taken outside your website to increase the website traffic. Here, Off-page SEO comes into the picture.
Having more and more backlinks to your site from external sources implies to the search engines that the content on your site is legit and improves your site ranking.
Below are the techniques to increase the backlinks and referral traffic to your site.
Guest Blogging: Connect and coordinate with other related bloggers of your niche by asking them to publish your article on their blog and vice versa. This will introduce your brand to a whole new audience.
Blog Commenting: Commenting on your site link in a valuable way on external quality websites amounts to more organic traffic.
For example, Consider the Quora platform. Find the most popular queries related to your niche to answer them accordingly and add your article link alongside. So, when a user reads your response and clicks on the article link which helps to redirect to your site.
Article Submissions: It is always important to publish your article on popular article submission directories like EzineArticles. These will promote your article to a larger audience which increases the site exposure and backlinks.
Using Social Media Networks: Majority of the people use social media. Create social media pages and increase followers. Direct them to your site by giving regular updates on your niche through your articles, thereby promoting your site.
Technical SEO :
Finally, we are at the technical SEO. Although technical SEO is a part of On-Page SEO it is very important to briefly discuss the technical SEO separately. It always gives an edge, when you are familiar with the technical aspects of how search engines work. The search engine performs mainly three things. Crawling, Indexing, and Ranking the sites.
Site Architecture: Simple site architecture not only makes it easy for the users but also for the search engine crawling bots to crawl, index, and rank the webpages.
Secure Site: Make sure that your site is safe and secure for the users. Check the SSL(secure sockets layer) certificate that performs the HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) on your site.
XML sitemap:(Extensible Markup Language) XML sitemap consists of all URLs of a site which makes it easy for the search engine to crawl the important pages of the site. Check for the error-free and dead pages. If found, delete them. Always make sure all the URLs of your site are live to the search engines.
Duplicate Content: Every post you write must be unique and original. Writing the same content on different articles will surely decrease the overall site ranking. Although we use internal links to relate the relevant posts with one another it’s also important that the relating content is also unique.
Click here to learn more about digital marketing concepts.
Rukkanna Gari Karunakar Goud
Hi, I am a marketing specialist with 3+ years of work experience in IT and marketing, and proven knowledge of digital marketing, market analysis, and e-commerce.